Skip to main content

Self Care Sundays: Cleaning Therapy

Cleaning. Doing chores. Tidying up. The one thing no one really likes to do but needs to do if they don't want critters, dirt and other scary things they can't see invading their space. It's usually last on our to do list and "put off" until the next day or the weekend, almost like a Saturday morning ritual: wake up, turn on some music, and let the scent of lemon, pine sol and happiness fill your home and lift you up!

Cleaning the house does not have to be dreadful or put off until the last minute or right before company comes over. It doesn't have to be labeled "women's work" or frowned upon. Believe it or not, cleaning your space/home can be very therapeutic. Think about it - you're focused, working towards an end goal of clean and spotlessness, and, when done with intentions, you can clean your stress away as you move from one living area to the next!

Here's how...

  1. Clean with a purpose. Of course the reason why we clean is to make our homes clutter free, put everything in it's rightful place and to make it comfy and cozy for when guests come over (I know social media mentions that to keep a man thing - that's for another day tho). Sometimes, cleaning can be for the purpose of clearing our minds and giving ourselves a fresh mental start. Focusing on a positive task such as cleaning can help in changing your focus and thoughts from negative to positive as you move about and see all the good that you've accomplished.
  2. Scrub it away, and wash it down the drain. This may sound crazy, but I do some of my best scrubbing when I am angry, frustrated, or just worked up about something. Not that I look for something to fuel my scrubbing energy, but, it feels good to channel that energy into something that will give me a good end result and when I'm done getting all the angry out, I actually feel a lot better when I'm done. There's something symbolic about watching the dirt and grime wash down the drain and looking at a clean, sparkly outcome!
  3. Get some music flowing and your house glowing. Cleaning is a great way to get up and get moving, especially when you have some music to push you thru the pressure! Music can not only get you started for the day, but it can also make you feel even more great while you tackle the job that is cleaning your home. Dancing around the house while vacuuming, reaching those high places to put things away and doing a bit of heavy lifting can also serve as a great way to exercise! Imagine getting a workout in, cleaning your home and lifting your spirits up ALL IN ONE! 
Cleaning is about more than just having a nice living space. It's also about de-cluttering your mind, taking out the mental and physical trash and giving yourself a true, fresh start! Cleaning can instantly turn your entire mood around completely and put you in a different space - a clean one. You can even uplift yourself even more by using scents like lemon and citrus, both which are known for helping you feel energized, while pine scent can help alleviate stress. Instead of looking at cleaning as a boring, dreadful, necessary evil, look at it more as an opportunity to wash your stress away, de-clutter your mind and give yourself a fresh start! Happy cleaning!  







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HELLA SCARED: Fear, Faith and Serenity

Issa Rae, Insecure, 2016 image source Can I admit that life scares me? Not always, but definitely from time to time. One moment I'm confident and rolling with the punches taking things as they come and the next thing I know I am panicking, having slight anxiety and worried about what will, or won't, happen next. As one can imagine, this gets frustrating! I in no way live my life in fear, but uncertainty drives me crazy sometimes. I want to know everything right now. I want to know where my career will end up, if I will reach my goals, if I'll ever get married, what my kids will look like, or if I will even get to see these things happen in my life at all. I know, it's a lot to take on all at once. Whew! One of the ways I have dealt with this fear of the unknown is to focus on the now. My mind wanders constantly. All day, every day. I am always thinking about what's next, what the next day will bring, if something will or will not happen and thinking 20 step...

Being Yourself and Winning

via GIPHY 2017 has been a year of victory for many women in the spotlight. We've watched Issa Rae go from being an Awkward Black Girl to an Emmy nominated CoverGirl, Cardi B make history on the charts and Auntie Maxine Waters reclaim her time and ensure her voice - and the voice of the community - is heard. More importantly, we've watched these women and countless others make these strides while being themselves and staying true to who they are. In the age of RTs and double clicks for likes, it is very hard to be yourself without the worry of facing judgement. One wrong post and one could face harsh ridicule, criticism and even online bullying. It's even harder when you're trying to chase your dreams in the public eye. Everyone is watching what you do, say and post extremely closely and, unfortunately, people will highlight the bad more than they praise the good you have going on. Despite all of this, it is very important to stay true to who you are. Take Ca...

The Survival Guide: Office Holiday Parties

Holiday time in the office is always so great. The company Christmas tree. The Christmas music. Everyone is excited for their travel plans and family time. And of course, we cannot forget the numerous holiday parties and luncheons taking place between November and December. It's the most wonderful time of the year! Whether you're new to a company's holiday culture or a veteran in the game, company holiday gatherings can be a bit overwhelming if you have multiple to attend and keep up with. From planning, attending, and adding your name the potluck sign up sheet, it is very easy to get events confused while trying to keep up with party planners and ensure that you're taking a dish that everyone will enjoy. Check out the following tips to get you thru the holiday parties this year! Join a Committee   Believe it or not, joining a committee is a great way to get involved and excited for the holiday office party. Whether it be decorating, catering or cleaning, lendin...