Skip to main content

Vital For Survival: Quality Time With Your Girls & Why It Matters

It is the story line women of all ages are familiar with. One moment you and your girls are brunching it up every weekend, partying at the hottest clubs, getting together once a week for TGIT and planning vacays one year after the next and the next thing you know time passes by and weekly plans turn into IG comments, unanswered text messages and the only time you see one another is when one of your children has a birthday party. Many things can cause time and distance to separate friend groups from other another such as careers, romantic relationships, children and dream chasing to, unfortunately, unresolved issues. No matter what the cause may be, it is important to resolve matters quickly and keep your girls as important figures in your life. This can be seen in the movie Girls Trip. Four friends get together for a long overdue weekend in New Orleans for the Essence Festival. I saw the movie with my girls and was reminded why making time for your friends is vital for survival.

Girls Trip is not only a great film directed by the incredible Malcom D. Lee, it is also all too relatable. Films writers, Kenya Barris and Tracy Oliver knew just how to touch the heart of the audience. I know when my girls and I sat in the Studio Movie Grill theater seats surrounded by other women just like us, it felt as though we were all friends ready for the journey the film would take us on. From everyone laughing together at the humor, saying "oh, hell naw!" together when a man tried one of the ladies, or giving a smooth "yesssssssss!" at the eye candy on screen, seeing Girls Trip opening weekend was an experience. It was a film with many take aways that women needed. My biggest take away from the film, and seeing it with all my girls, was the importance of friendship, sisterhood and quality time together to be our true selves.

It's so easy to unknowingly allow your friendships with your friends to slip through the cracks. Life happens! When you have multiple friend circles through meeting new people, moving and just being social it's even more difficult to keep up with everyone. One way to keep quality time with your girls consistent is to set dates on a weekly/monthly basis. Whether it be for dinner, brunch, a girls night out or a girls night in with wine, carbs, and loads of laughter and catching up, it all calls for a great time together. Few of my friends and I love birthdays so we get together throughout the year to celebrate one another. Sister Friends can also plan in advance for events that everyone is interested in. I know my friends and I were all super excited to plan our night out to see Girls Trip! We purchased tickets in the same rows and sections, and even made dinner reservations to grab a bite to eat following the movie. It was a chance for everyone to get together, laugh about the movie, catch up and just enjoy seeing one another. We loved Girls Trip so much, a few of us plan on seeing it again! Movies, concerts in or out of town, festivals, and free events in the cities you live in are also great reason to have fun with friends. Instead of taking your man, as much fun as that can be, take your girls! It's always great to have dates with your girls to look forward to, no matter how far in advance you plan them. The built up anticipation will make everyone even more excited to get together. So plan away and have fun with your girls!

Girl friends, or as I like to call them, Sister Friends, are important in life. They are the people who know you the best. Yes, your family knows you. And of course your significant other knows you in ways others will not. Sister Friends, however, are the people in your life that know all of you. The good, bad and ugly - and love you flaws and all. They see right through the curtains we so desperately try to hide behind. When we try to cover our insecurities, they not only see them, but they nurture them as well. Hell, they help us get over them and remind us of our worth when others don't see it, ourselves included! Time with your girls, whether it's a trip, an event or simply just wine on the couch while watching your favorite shows....those moments are important. They remind us to laugh, smile and face life with our heads held high. I encourage everyone to gather their Sister Friends, see Girls Trip, and start making new memories with the women in your circle!

Comments

  1. This was need on. I haven't seen Girls Trip yet, but I can't wait to! I've been dealing with a personal sister friend issue and this was an eye opener for me. I needed to read this at this time in my life. Friends are so hard to come by and when issues arise we have to work together to not grow apart. I took a chance at something after reading this, and girl, I was surprised! I know things don't happen over night, but it's a step in the right direction. -Jazz S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This makes me so happy! I'm glad the post impacted you in such a way. Yes, I agree, good friends are hard to come by, so it's important to have the tough conversations and resolve matters and grow from those moments! I'm still learning and growing in my friendship so I understand girl, trust me. You're going to LOVE Girls Trip! Its a must see! Thank you for growing and glowing with me! 💛

      Delete
  2. This is so important. It is all too easy to get caught up in life's struggles (even if they may be positive maintenance) and neglect friendships. I am happy that you have found a way to reconnect with your friends. Being a black male, I will say, it is a bit more difficult to do so, especially given my background. It is heart-wrenchingly difficult to reconnect with male friends when you are not into traditionally masculine things. I see a lot of my friends bonding over sports, cars, guns, trades, etc. I am not a huge fanatic in any of these categories. So, when it comes time to possibly even think about hanging out with old friends again, I am paralyzed into inaction. What do I say to these friends of mine? To those who I have spent so much time with (but left abruptly), who once laughed, joked, and teased one another, who portrayed loyalty, how dare I reward these cherished memories with my present awkwardness of not knowing how to interact anymore? So please, continue and maintain this tradition of setting time aside for those close to you because you are right, it truly is all too important and the void that it can leave can truly despairing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only imagine! I never thought about it from a guys perspective so thank you so much for sharing! I will say though, true friends know who you are at the core and will accept you for who you are no matter what! I believe that applies to both men and women. So don't hesitate to catch up with your boys!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Power in Pressure

Pressure. We all feel it from time to time. It makes diamonds, right? At least that has been the saying for as long as I could remember. But what about when pressure makes things, people and situations crack. I myself have been feeling a lot of pressure lately. Mostly self inflicted, but pressure none the less. The pressure to reach my financial goals by the end of the year, quickly find a better job that pays more, be present for my friends/family/significant other, and most importantly for myself has me under a lot of pressure and some days it’s heavier than others while others it’s easier to manage. My boyfriend and I went to church this past  Sunday  and it is no surprise that Pastor Furtick spoke directly to me regarding this issue. Luckily, I was able to walk away with a better perspective to help me navigate through the pressure and actually find the power in it all. Pressure can be looked at from both a positive and negative perspective. In a good way, it can push and moti

Fall Favorites That I'm Ready For!

via GIPHY It's that time of year again! Every year I am excited for Summer weather for about a moth and before I know it,  I am counting down to the days when I will be able to wear over-sized sweaters, eat bowls of warm goodness and watch the leaves go thru a dramatic change. It's safe to say I have had Fall Fever since about July 4th and boy am I ready for the season to take it's full affect. There are so many favorites that I have already started enjoying. Check them out below! Bowls of soup and chili via GIPHY Oh yes, soup! From chilli, to chicken noodle, broccoli cheddar and a spicy gumbo, I love a big bowl of comfort food. While one can eat soup in the summer months (I'm sure Panera Bread didn't miss a beat), nothing compares to soup in the fall. Kick off the season by dusting off the Crock Pot - or finally buying one - and trying out some amazingly easy recipes! This year I plan on mastering white bean chicken chilli. Yum! Boots via