Skip to main content

5 Ways to Seize the Day Before it Even Begins!

How do you prepare for your day?

In my mind, I'd wake up bright eyed and bushy tailed, my outfit for the day would be waiting for me in the closet, breakfast hot and ready on the table and me walking out of the door in time to get a great parking spot at work rather than parking in the back of the lot and rushing to make it to my desk by 8:05am. In reality, I'm lucky if I make to my chair by 8:03am and have a full breakfast all without forgetting something on my dresser like my phone or my mind. Unfortunately, this happens more days than one and it throws my day completely off. My dream of being prepared for my day is actually obtainable, if I am willing to put in a little effort to prepare, plan and organize in advance!

Check out these great tips to help you seize the day!


  1. Preparation is Key!
  2. Preparing for the day truly starts the night before. I know, that is easier said than done. Who wants to pick out clothes and pack the next day's lunch while watching the latest reality tv episode, right?! One blink and you've missed something juicy on the screen! However much discipline it may require, prepping prior to going to bed allows for a smooth morning when you wake up. Somewhere between commercial breaks, live tweeting and laying down to call it a night, try to set aside 30 minutes to pick out the outfit for the next day, iron it, hang it in an place where it won't get ruined and prepare your lunch for the next day. If you hate ironing as much as I do, try folding and hanging your clothes fresh out the dryer. For lunch, pack leftovers from dinner or even buy ingredients to build you a salad. Not only will you get a head start on the day, but you'll save a little in your pockets as well. Not only will be super cute after planning your outfit, you'll have a great lunch to refuel you for the day!

  3. Ditch the Snooze Button!
  4. As if pausing your favorite show to iron wasn't difficult enough (trust me, I know), waking up is truly the hardest part. You cannot start your day without giving into your alarm and pulling yourself from the magnetic force that is your bed. And if you're anything like me, you have a daily battle with the snooze button every morning. If you can conquer this, you can do anything! Trust me, I know the struggle - it is real! The hardest part really is finding the strength to sit up and plant your feet on the ground. Once you master that part, it's a piece of cake! Challenge yourself to wake up a few minutes earlier every day to allow more time to get ready in the morning. That, plus the time saved from prepping the night before, will allow for a smooth morning and day!

  5. Get Moving!
  6. What is one thing that gets us moving and lifts our spirits at the same time? Music! No matter how tired I am or what kind of mood I'm in, music instantly puts me in a different place. The right song at the right time makes me forget about everything and helps push me thru a workout, the agony of sitting in traffic and the struggles of pushing thru the workday. A perfectly curated playlist can help you get ready for the day as well! Just think - bopping around your house, singing along to your favorite songs while you get ready for what the day has it store. It really helps get you moving, get the blood flowing and put you in a happy place before jetting out the door!

  7. Feed Your Mind!
  8. Breakfast - the most important, and the most forgotten about, meal of the day. A good breakfast gives provides the energy and the fuel we need to wake up and get going. As much as we may love coffee and Chick Fil A hash browns, they aren't exactly the healthiest thing to start our day with. The best breakfast is made at home, that way we know exactly what we are eating to fuel us for the day. Having more time in the morning will make it even easier to scramble up some eggs and throw some bacon in the oven, butter up some toast, or make a breakfast smoothie! You can even portion prep smoothies in advance by separating different frozen fruit into small snack bags, throwing them in the freezer and blending them together with orange juice, almond milk or your favorite yogurt. Kick it up a notch by adding some peanut butter or protein powder to your almond milk blended smoothie!

  9. Get Going!

    via GIPHY
  10. Once you have had a smooth morning waking up and getting your blood flowing, a great breakfast and got dressed looking cute and bright eyed, you will be more than ready to get out the door and conquer the day! Nothing feels better than getting a head start on my day, feeling and looking my absolute best, walking out of the door and into the world. You can totally shift your energy going into the office, school, the hospital or campus by getting a jump start on your day and taking time out to prepare in the morning. You'll have a completely different kind of pep in your step!
Seizing the day is a breeze when you prepare, plan and organize your time and truly tend to yourself before walking out of the door. While certain things and emergencies to come up that are out of our control, it is a great feeling when you can grab a handle on what you can and take your time. You may not be able to follow a regime every day, but, try to get into the habit of doing a few things here and there and watch the dramatic difference in how smooth your morning and your day goes. You got this. We got this!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Power in Pressure

Pressure. We all feel it from time to time. It makes diamonds, right? At least that has been the saying for as long as I could remember. But what about when pressure makes things, people and situations crack. I myself have been feeling a lot of pressure lately. Mostly self inflicted, but pressure none the less. The pressure to reach my financial goals by the end of the year, quickly find a better job that pays more, be present for my friends/family/significant other, and most importantly for myself has me under a lot of pressure and some days it’s heavier than others while others it’s easier to manage. My boyfriend and I went to church this past  Sunday  and it is no surprise that Pastor Furtick spoke directly to me regarding this issue. Luckily, I was able to walk away with a better perspective to help me navigate through the pressure and actually find the power in it all. Pressure can be looked at from both a positive and negative perspective. In a good way, it can push and moti

Vital For Survival: Quality Time With Your Girls & Why It Matters

It is the story line women of all ages are familiar with. One moment you and your girls are brunching it up every weekend, partying at the hottest clubs, getting together once a week for TGIT and planning vacays one year after the next and the next thing you know time passes by and weekly plans turn into IG comments, unanswered text messages and the only time you see one another is when one of your children has a birthday party. Many things can cause time and distance to separate friend groups from other another such as careers, romantic relationships, children and dream chasing to, unfortunately, unresolved issues. No matter what the cause may be, it is important to resolve matters quickly and keep your girls as important figures in your life. This can be seen in the movie Girls Trip . Four friends get together for a long overdue weekend in New Orleans for the Essence Festival. I saw the movie with my girls and was reminded why making time for your friends is vital for survival.

Fall Favorites That I'm Ready For!

via GIPHY It's that time of year again! Every year I am excited for Summer weather for about a moth and before I know it,  I am counting down to the days when I will be able to wear over-sized sweaters, eat bowls of warm goodness and watch the leaves go thru a dramatic change. It's safe to say I have had Fall Fever since about July 4th and boy am I ready for the season to take it's full affect. There are so many favorites that I have already started enjoying. Check them out below! Bowls of soup and chili via GIPHY Oh yes, soup! From chilli, to chicken noodle, broccoli cheddar and a spicy gumbo, I love a big bowl of comfort food. While one can eat soup in the summer months (I'm sure Panera Bread didn't miss a beat), nothing compares to soup in the fall. Kick off the season by dusting off the Crock Pot - or finally buying one - and trying out some amazingly easy recipes! This year I plan on mastering white bean chicken chilli. Yum! Boots via