Skip to main content

The Power in Pressure

Pressure. We all feel it from time to time. It makes diamonds, right? At least that has been the saying for as long as I could remember. But what about when pressure makes things, people and situations crack. I myself have been feeling a lot of pressure lately. Mostly self inflicted, but pressure none the less. The pressure to reach my financial goals by the end of the year, quickly find a better job that pays more, be present for my friends/family/significant other, and most importantly for myself has me under a lot of pressure and some days it’s heavier than others while others it’s easier to manage. My boyfriend and I went to church this past Sunday and it is no surprise that Pastor Furtick spoke directly to me regarding this issue. Luckily, I was able to walk away with a better perspective to help me navigate through the pressure and actually find the power in it all.

Pressure can be looked at from both a positive and negative perspective. In a good way, it can push and motivate us to do our best, stay focused and get the job done whether it be in work, school, relationships, or simply trying to reach an end goal/desired outcome. When I was in college, I can honestly say I did some of my best studying and wrote some of my best work under pressure. I would be up at 3am, the night before it was due, grinding it out. The adrenaline, desire to get to the end and to do my best pushed me through and I always did great!  But, what about the moments when pressure is not on your side? Like, the pressure to reach certain goals that seem so far off and because life happens you have to continuously push out the end date? Or the pressure when you are in love and you want to put your best foot forward while also using clear judgment? Or even worst, when you feel like you’ve been putting in so much time, sweat and energy but for whatever reason cannot reach the body weight/goal you set for yourself. For me, I like for things to happen quickly…I guess you could say I like instant gratification (I am working on this). I want to see immediate results, I want the “next step” or the “next level” to happen quickly – mostly in my career moves, my finances and my health goals. Right now in my life, I feel this enormous amount of pressure to make more money, fast, and to find a job that will help me do just that. And I want it NOW. Like...right now...yesterday. It keeps me up at night. I feel like I am almost hesitant to start a business and stick with it because I want to see the results immediately and of course it does not work like that. I have to put in the work, time, effort, and even the money it would take and, well…Rome was not built in a day. I am learning that, rushing the process instead of trusting it is not going to get me to where I want to be, especially if I want to stay there and build from the bottom up.

I have been noticing that I feel the most pressure after I have prayed for something. I pray for strength and God sends me a challenge to make me stronger. I pray for growth in my relationship and God will send us through a test that requires a certain level of communication that will give us a better understanding of one another. I pray for growth in my finances and, while it may not present itself as a new full time job opportunity, its come as a second job that requires me to put in more time and effort and really push myself to work harder. I also have been hearing my inner voice tell me to “work for the job you want, not the job you have.” So from all directions, the pressure is on! In the words of Pastor Furtick, there is Power in Pressure and Pressure is a privilege. We wouldn’t feel pressure if we didn’t want more for ourselves, weren’t passionate about reaching our goals or being the best version of ourselves we can be. We have to take that pressure and it let it work with us instead of against us. Moving forward, I am going to work with the pressure I feel from time to time rather than against it. Work even harder. Continue to push myself. Don’t shut down from my loved ones and instead open up even more and continue to grow with my friends/family/significant other. I am going to push through the pressure! If I wasn’t so passionate about the things I desired or the people my life, I would feel no pressure at all and would not push or challenge myself. I also would not grow.

Growth does not take place in comfort zones. A seed must push through a lot of dirt and darkness in order for a beautiful flower to bloom. So, as I encourage myself, I encourage all who is reading this to push through the pressure and take your power back! Drop a comment below and let me know the pressure you feel from time to time and how you are pushing through it!

Comments

  1. Pressure. An interesting writing prompt, to be sure. You are on point in regards to some of the daily pressures that we feel. Some of the things that may also be frustrating is the lack of control that we have to change the pressure that we feel. There's the pressure to get a better paying job, but what control do we have over who hires us or, if we are starting a business, how consumers will react to our products and services. There's the pressure to appeal to continue to our significant other, but this may also stem from our fear of not being in control of our own emotions and at the mercy of trusting and hoping that those we are involved with will have our best interests at heart. The marriage of pressure and control is quite a fascinating phenomenon.

    I can relate to much of what you are saying. Life's pressures have definitely forced change in me. The pressure to financially provide for my family, to be the best "me" that I can be for those around me, in a nearly morbid way, there's even pressure put into being happy. We can run ourselves ragged with every pressure that we acknowledge. It is important that we find an outlet to remind us that pressure can be a good thing, and thus give us a momentary sensation of relieving this pressure: albeit church attendance, meditation, writing in a journal, working out, whatever helps get us in our "flow". When we can properly obtain flow, those pressures can melt away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really can! That's why I wrote this prompt. Almost as a reminder to myself. Its easier to fall victim to the woes of feeling weighed down than it is to control it but when you do its such an amazing feeling.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Vital For Survival: Quality Time With Your Girls & Why It Matters

It is the story line women of all ages are familiar with. One moment you and your girls are brunching it up every weekend, partying at the hottest clubs, getting together once a week for TGIT and planning vacays one year after the next and the next thing you know time passes by and weekly plans turn into IG comments, unanswered text messages and the only time you see one another is when one of your children has a birthday party. Many things can cause time and distance to separate friend groups from other another such as careers, romantic relationships, children and dream chasing to, unfortunately, unresolved issues. No matter what the cause may be, it is important to resolve matters quickly and keep your girls as important figures in your life. This can be seen in the movie Girls Trip . Four friends get together for a long overdue weekend in New Orleans for the Essence Festival. I saw the movie with my girls and was reminded why making time for your friends is vital for survival.

Fall Favorites That I'm Ready For!

via GIPHY It's that time of year again! Every year I am excited for Summer weather for about a moth and before I know it,  I am counting down to the days when I will be able to wear over-sized sweaters, eat bowls of warm goodness and watch the leaves go thru a dramatic change. It's safe to say I have had Fall Fever since about July 4th and boy am I ready for the season to take it's full affect. There are so many favorites that I have already started enjoying. Check them out below! Bowls of soup and chili via GIPHY Oh yes, soup! From chilli, to chicken noodle, broccoli cheddar and a spicy gumbo, I love a big bowl of comfort food. While one can eat soup in the summer months (I'm sure Panera Bread didn't miss a beat), nothing compares to soup in the fall. Kick off the season by dusting off the Crock Pot - or finally buying one - and trying out some amazingly easy recipes! This year I plan on mastering white bean chicken chilli. Yum! Boots via