Skip to main content

Self Care Sunday: Post in Peace; Turn the Comments Off, Sis.

Social. Media.

The outlets that we use to connect, (over)share, display and communicate with people - strangers and friends alike - on a daily basis. We share our highs and lows, our loved ones and our enemies (discreetly, so we think), our happiest moments and even the sad moments that make our followers wonder, how sad are they really if they are posting about it on IG live?

Sharing on social media has become a huge part of life.

And with sharing comes the one thing that we hardly ever ask for but always seem to get an abundance of....

Opinions!

Ah, yes! Opinions. Those things that your friends give you when you tell them whats going on in your life and instead of truly listening to the agony on your voice they give you their opinion because they love you and gotta keep it real. And in that setting, it's acceptable because that's your friend and you know how they are - they just care. But, do you ever wish you could turn it off?

Like, turn off your friends opinions that you didn't ask for while pouring your heart out?

Well...
While it may be harder to do this while venting to your friend, you can do this on Instagram - and thank GOD!

Social media can be extremely triggering and can threaten our peace of mind. So you can only imagine the joy I felt when I discovered you could disable comments under your posts.
I cannot tell you how many times I read comments on IG and end up screaming at my phone, "COMMENTS! OFF! TURN THEM OFF, SIS! SAVE YOURSELF!" looking like a maniac. I so desperately want the owner of the account and the photo to hear my spirit screaming at them from however many miles away so they can disable their comments and keep their peace of mind after sharing their personal life on social media. But, my message never gets through to them and instead they get flooded with comments filled with hate, bullying, judgement, other people's IG names to bring in more onlookers, misinterpreted bible versus they did not ask for and the list goes on and on and on. I eventually get burned out. And if I end up in a funk from reading someone else's comments, I can only imagine how the person on the receiving end feels. Whew! Triggering.

So, I know what many are thinking -  "You can't be triggered if you don't read the comments."

While that definitely sounds like the logical thing to do, it's not realistic. I mean, I am sure once your comments section has reached a certain amount, it is nearly impossible to read ALL of them. None the less, just knowing they are there can be overwhelming for someone who didn't ask for folks comments, opinions or nasty remarks under THEIR photo.

Which leads me to my next point. Shouldn't they just not post anything if they don't want the opinions of onlookers?

My answer is No. They shouldn't avoid posting to avoid the aftermath that follows.

People's IG, Facebook, Twitter and whatever other social media outlet the kids use these days - are theirs. It's theirs to share what they want as they please, as long as they aren't risking themselves and causing harm to others, of course. Now, I do believe in taking a mental break once in a while as a practice of self care because the images and messages can have a huge effect on people and their peace of mind. I am also an even bigger advocate for turning off the comments. It's necessary. In my opinion, it's probably the best feature Instagram has included in one of their many updates. It allows users to post their photos freely without worrying about what people are going to say. No one to comment on why a woman is still with her man, how nasty someone's food looks - which is the most rude thing ever, in my humble opinion- or any negative remark that may comes from posting a photo or video on IG. While this also disables people form posting positive comments, listen - the ones who like it will double tap and the ones who do not will keep scrolling. And that is exactly how it should be.

POST IN PEACE.
No one should feel attacked or bullied after posting to their personal social media page. I know, that sounds silly, right? But it's real. And it's sad.

If you deal with even the slightest harassment in your IG comments please, save yourself. Turn the comments off.

And if you are one of the people who give your unwarranted opinion in peoples comments, please, stop. It's okay to keep things to yourself. If you can't say anything nice what so ever, say nothing. You will feel better about yourself and you won't contribute to someone feeling less.

Happy Posting!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Power in Pressure

Pressure. We all feel it from time to time. It makes diamonds, right? At least that has been the saying for as long as I could remember. But what about when pressure makes things, people and situations crack. I myself have been feeling a lot of pressure lately. Mostly self inflicted, but pressure none the less. The pressure to reach my financial goals by the end of the year, quickly find a better job that pays more, be present for my friends/family/significant other, and most importantly for myself has me under a lot of pressure and some days it’s heavier than others while others it’s easier to manage. My boyfriend and I went to church this past  Sunday  and it is no surprise that Pastor Furtick spoke directly to me regarding this issue. Luckily, I was able to walk away with a better perspective to help me navigate through the pressure and actually find the power in it all. Pressure can be looked at from both a positive and negative perspective. In a good way, it can push and moti

Vital For Survival: Quality Time With Your Girls & Why It Matters

It is the story line women of all ages are familiar with. One moment you and your girls are brunching it up every weekend, partying at the hottest clubs, getting together once a week for TGIT and planning vacays one year after the next and the next thing you know time passes by and weekly plans turn into IG comments, unanswered text messages and the only time you see one another is when one of your children has a birthday party. Many things can cause time and distance to separate friend groups from other another such as careers, romantic relationships, children and dream chasing to, unfortunately, unresolved issues. No matter what the cause may be, it is important to resolve matters quickly and keep your girls as important figures in your life. This can be seen in the movie Girls Trip . Four friends get together for a long overdue weekend in New Orleans for the Essence Festival. I saw the movie with my girls and was reminded why making time for your friends is vital for survival.

Fall Favorites That I'm Ready For!

via GIPHY It's that time of year again! Every year I am excited for Summer weather for about a moth and before I know it,  I am counting down to the days when I will be able to wear over-sized sweaters, eat bowls of warm goodness and watch the leaves go thru a dramatic change. It's safe to say I have had Fall Fever since about July 4th and boy am I ready for the season to take it's full affect. There are so many favorites that I have already started enjoying. Check them out below! Bowls of soup and chili via GIPHY Oh yes, soup! From chilli, to chicken noodle, broccoli cheddar and a spicy gumbo, I love a big bowl of comfort food. While one can eat soup in the summer months (I'm sure Panera Bread didn't miss a beat), nothing compares to soup in the fall. Kick off the season by dusting off the Crock Pot - or finally buying one - and trying out some amazingly easy recipes! This year I plan on mastering white bean chicken chilli. Yum! Boots via