Skip to main content

Self Care Sunday: Post in Peace; Turn the Comments Off, Sis.

Social. Media.

The outlets that we use to connect, (over)share, display and communicate with people - strangers and friends alike - on a daily basis. We share our highs and lows, our loved ones and our enemies (discreetly, so we think), our happiest moments and even the sad moments that make our followers wonder, how sad are they really if they are posting about it on IG live?

Sharing on social media has become a huge part of life.

And with sharing comes the one thing that we hardly ever ask for but always seem to get an abundance of....

Opinions!

Ah, yes! Opinions. Those things that your friends give you when you tell them whats going on in your life and instead of truly listening to the agony on your voice they give you their opinion because they love you and gotta keep it real. And in that setting, it's acceptable because that's your friend and you know how they are - they just care. But, do you ever wish you could turn it off?

Like, turn off your friends opinions that you didn't ask for while pouring your heart out?

Well...
While it may be harder to do this while venting to your friend, you can do this on Instagram - and thank GOD!

Social media can be extremely triggering and can threaten our peace of mind. So you can only imagine the joy I felt when I discovered you could disable comments under your posts.
I cannot tell you how many times I read comments on IG and end up screaming at my phone, "COMMENTS! OFF! TURN THEM OFF, SIS! SAVE YOURSELF!" looking like a maniac. I so desperately want the owner of the account and the photo to hear my spirit screaming at them from however many miles away so they can disable their comments and keep their peace of mind after sharing their personal life on social media. But, my message never gets through to them and instead they get flooded with comments filled with hate, bullying, judgement, other people's IG names to bring in more onlookers, misinterpreted bible versus they did not ask for and the list goes on and on and on. I eventually get burned out. And if I end up in a funk from reading someone else's comments, I can only imagine how the person on the receiving end feels. Whew! Triggering.

So, I know what many are thinking -  "You can't be triggered if you don't read the comments."

While that definitely sounds like the logical thing to do, it's not realistic. I mean, I am sure once your comments section has reached a certain amount, it is nearly impossible to read ALL of them. None the less, just knowing they are there can be overwhelming for someone who didn't ask for folks comments, opinions or nasty remarks under THEIR photo.

Which leads me to my next point. Shouldn't they just not post anything if they don't want the opinions of onlookers?

My answer is No. They shouldn't avoid posting to avoid the aftermath that follows.

People's IG, Facebook, Twitter and whatever other social media outlet the kids use these days - are theirs. It's theirs to share what they want as they please, as long as they aren't risking themselves and causing harm to others, of course. Now, I do believe in taking a mental break once in a while as a practice of self care because the images and messages can have a huge effect on people and their peace of mind. I am also an even bigger advocate for turning off the comments. It's necessary. In my opinion, it's probably the best feature Instagram has included in one of their many updates. It allows users to post their photos freely without worrying about what people are going to say. No one to comment on why a woman is still with her man, how nasty someone's food looks - which is the most rude thing ever, in my humble opinion- or any negative remark that may comes from posting a photo or video on IG. While this also disables people form posting positive comments, listen - the ones who like it will double tap and the ones who do not will keep scrolling. And that is exactly how it should be.

POST IN PEACE.
No one should feel attacked or bullied after posting to their personal social media page. I know, that sounds silly, right? But it's real. And it's sad.

If you deal with even the slightest harassment in your IG comments please, save yourself. Turn the comments off.

And if you are one of the people who give your unwarranted opinion in peoples comments, please, stop. It's okay to keep things to yourself. If you can't say anything nice what so ever, say nothing. You will feel better about yourself and you won't contribute to someone feeling less.

Happy Posting!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HELLA SCARED: Fear, Faith and Serenity

Issa Rae, Insecure, 2016 image source Can I admit that life scares me? Not always, but definitely from time to time. One moment I'm confident and rolling with the punches taking things as they come and the next thing I know I am panicking, having slight anxiety and worried about what will, or won't, happen next. As one can imagine, this gets frustrating! I in no way live my life in fear, but uncertainty drives me crazy sometimes. I want to know everything right now. I want to know where my career will end up, if I will reach my goals, if I'll ever get married, what my kids will look like, or if I will even get to see these things happen in my life at all. I know, it's a lot to take on all at once. Whew! One of the ways I have dealt with this fear of the unknown is to focus on the now. My mind wanders constantly. All day, every day. I am always thinking about what's next, what the next day will bring, if something will or will not happen and thinking 20 step...

Being Yourself and Winning

via GIPHY 2017 has been a year of victory for many women in the spotlight. We've watched Issa Rae go from being an Awkward Black Girl to an Emmy nominated CoverGirl, Cardi B make history on the charts and Auntie Maxine Waters reclaim her time and ensure her voice - and the voice of the community - is heard. More importantly, we've watched these women and countless others make these strides while being themselves and staying true to who they are. In the age of RTs and double clicks for likes, it is very hard to be yourself without the worry of facing judgement. One wrong post and one could face harsh ridicule, criticism and even online bullying. It's even harder when you're trying to chase your dreams in the public eye. Everyone is watching what you do, say and post extremely closely and, unfortunately, people will highlight the bad more than they praise the good you have going on. Despite all of this, it is very important to stay true to who you are. Take Ca...

The Survival Guide: Office Holiday Parties

Holiday time in the office is always so great. The company Christmas tree. The Christmas music. Everyone is excited for their travel plans and family time. And of course, we cannot forget the numerous holiday parties and luncheons taking place between November and December. It's the most wonderful time of the year! Whether you're new to a company's holiday culture or a veteran in the game, company holiday gatherings can be a bit overwhelming if you have multiple to attend and keep up with. From planning, attending, and adding your name the potluck sign up sheet, it is very easy to get events confused while trying to keep up with party planners and ensure that you're taking a dish that everyone will enjoy. Check out the following tips to get you thru the holiday parties this year! Join a Committee   Believe it or not, joining a committee is a great way to get involved and excited for the holiday office party. Whether it be decorating, catering or cleaning, lendin...