Skip to main content

Give Thanks: Reasons To Be Thankful


Thanksgiving is upon us and while I am excited to eat some good food and have some much needed, well deserved time off from work, this is truly a time to gather with family and loved ones and remind myself of all the many things I have to be thankful for.

Throughout the year, day in and day out, it is easy to get caught up in the world and forget about what is most important. It is even easier to look at those around us and play the comparison game and focus on what we may not have and lose sight of all the many things we do have.

When I think about why I am thankful, I immediately think about the people in my life. I mean, yes I am thankful for my job, and money to provide for myself and all of the nice things that I have, but the people in my life are what matter the most to me. Recently, my mom and I had a conversation about being rich in spirit, and that has been sitting with me since. Money and material things are all nice and great to have, but nothing in this world will top being rich in spirit, love and great people. Money comes and goes - and in the wrong hands, it can do more harm that good. Material things eventually lose their value. But your spirit, the love you have for yourself and others, the people who truly matter in your life - those things are priceless.

This year I am thankful for my loving family, my wonderful sister-friends, my amazing boyfriend, my many loved ones and to God for putting all of these people in my life. I am thankful for the love I have for myself, my self care and the joy I feel passing that love on to others. I am super thankful for the encouragement and inspiration I receive from everyone in my life and even those I do not know - that energy is real and needs to be passed along. We all could use it!

As we all gather with our loved ones to eat and relax, I challenge us all to reflect on what is important and the things that matter most to us. Lets change our perception to focus on what we have rather than what we don't have - and if there's something you want, challenge yourself to make it happen! We are all rich and blessed in so many ways and it is so important that we remember and remind one another of that!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Power in Pressure

Pressure. We all feel it from time to time. It makes diamonds, right? At least that has been the saying for as long as I could remember. But what about when pressure makes things, people and situations crack. I myself have been feeling a lot of pressure lately. Mostly self inflicted, but pressure none the less. The pressure to reach my financial goals by the end of the year, quickly find a better job that pays more, be present for my friends/family/significant other, and most importantly for myself has me under a lot of pressure and some days it’s heavier than others while others it’s easier to manage. My boyfriend and I went to church this past  Sunday  and it is no surprise that Pastor Furtick spoke directly to me regarding this issue. Luckily, I was able to walk away with a better perspective to help me navigate through the pressure and actually find the power in it all. Pressure can be looked at from both a positive and negative perspective. In a good way, it can push and moti

Vital For Survival: Quality Time With Your Girls & Why It Matters

It is the story line women of all ages are familiar with. One moment you and your girls are brunching it up every weekend, partying at the hottest clubs, getting together once a week for TGIT and planning vacays one year after the next and the next thing you know time passes by and weekly plans turn into IG comments, unanswered text messages and the only time you see one another is when one of your children has a birthday party. Many things can cause time and distance to separate friend groups from other another such as careers, romantic relationships, children and dream chasing to, unfortunately, unresolved issues. No matter what the cause may be, it is important to resolve matters quickly and keep your girls as important figures in your life. This can be seen in the movie Girls Trip . Four friends get together for a long overdue weekend in New Orleans for the Essence Festival. I saw the movie with my girls and was reminded why making time for your friends is vital for survival.

Self Care Sundays: 5 Ways I Practice Self Care at Work

Work; the last place we want to be and yet the place where we spend majority of our time. Everyday we get up and go to our place of employment to earn a living that allows us to provide for ourselves - even if we don't enjoy it or, maybe we love our jobs but not to much the people/pay. Whatever your situation, bills don't pay themselves, so day in and day out we must push our feelings aside and put our best foot forward. The best way to do that is to have peace of mind going into work and keeping it steady throughout the day. Peace of mind is everything while at work. Sometimes, it's all you have. When your job gets stressful or you simply just get in a funk for whatever reason, it is so easy for negative feelings to take over and make you feel even more low - you start thinking about how much you don't want to be there, wish you were doing something else that you loved, and next thing you know you're snapping at your coworker who stopped and asked to use your sta