Skip to main content

Self Care Sunday: The Little Things Matter Most

What's the first thing that comes to mind when you think of Self Care? It may be enjoying nature and the outdoors, treating yourself to a massage or even taking a little weekend getaway or joining a workout class. While all these practices are great, the most necessary kinds of Self Care can be done in the comfort of your own home.
While all these practices are great, the most necessary kinds of Self Care can be done n the comfort of your own home.
Self Care doesn't always have to be elaborate, expensive, or done outside of the most important place in your life - your home. At home is actually where Self Care starts and should be practiced the most. There are so many necessities at home that help prepare us for the outside world. Believe it or not, every day chores and tasks such as laundry, a soothing hot shower, organizing, cooking meals that you love and even getting quality sleep are all self care practices. Creating a routine to set aside time and focus on these little things is a great way to make Self Care an every day routine and help make yourself feel amazing.

Check out some amazing tips below on how to make your home a haven for Self Care!


  1. Doing laundry and loving it. The one household chore most of us dread to do and put off until the very last moment is washing and folding laundry. You know it's true - you wait until you run out of socks, under garments, or until you desperately need that one sweater you love and realize it's been in the bottom of the hamper for about 3 weeks. It happens! Washing clothes and linens easily becomes the last thing on the to do list, however, it's one of the most important. Clean clothes, sheets, towels - things I need on a daily basis - gives me a peace of mind I never realize I need until the task is complete and I'm sleeping on fresh, warm linens after a long day. Recently, I have a set schedule for washing clothes and washing the linens, which includes binge watching my favorite shows and movies while folding everything fresh out of the dryer. As boring it may sound, I always thank myself when my clothes are wrinkle free, put away, and I rarely have to iron in the morning. Major wins in small packages!
  2. Turn your bathroom into a spa. Believe it or not, you don't have to go to the spa to feel amazing and relaxed. While there is no shame in booking an hour long massage at your favorite spa, what about those moments when you need relief right away? Whether you had a long day, your muscles are tight from working out or sitting in that awful chair at work, or you just want to feel good, you can turn your bathroom into an all in one oasis. All you need is a towel under to door to keep the steam in, some aromatherapy scents of your choice (candles, body wash or shower melts), some calming music and a little bit of time to relax. For the price of a spa massage, you can even buy a multi-function shower head with massage settings! Afterwards, sit down in the steam filled bathroom, breathe, relax and take it all in. You will truly thank yourself.
  3. Sleep it away. When I was younger, I can admit that I did not appreciate the value of good sleep and taking naps. Just thinking about all of the naps I missed out on during my college years makes me sick. Luckily, I have gotten wiser and understand that quality sleep is so vital. For me, it's not so much about the amount of time I spend nuzzled up under the covers in dreamland - it truly is quality over quantity. Whether I'm just taking a little cat nap or I'm calling it a night and getting my beauty rest, I try my best to clear my mind, let go of whatever is or was, turn the volume of my phone down and focus on relaxing. Steady breathing, empty thoughts...I even like it to be silent (I used to need white noise). Whatever your method and routine to get you there, quality sleep is vital. While I do not have children, I understand how hard it can be to get good sleep when you do. When you have those moments of rest, focus on just that. And if you have a partner that snores, or if you are that snoring partner (guilty lol) talk about ways and methods you two can work together to help one another get good, quality rest. It's the one thing we all need. 
The little things truly matter the most when talking about Self Care. Daily routines and practices can help make you feel good, and boost your confidence about this whole adulting thing. No matter how much experience you might have in this thing called life, we are all capable of forgetting to put our needs and necessities first. Focus on keeping the little things in order and watch how great you feel!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Power in Pressure

Pressure. We all feel it from time to time. It makes diamonds, right? At least that has been the saying for as long as I could remember. But what about when pressure makes things, people and situations crack. I myself have been feeling a lot of pressure lately. Mostly self inflicted, but pressure none the less. The pressure to reach my financial goals by the end of the year, quickly find a better job that pays more, be present for my friends/family/significant other, and most importantly for myself has me under a lot of pressure and some days it’s heavier than others while others it’s easier to manage. My boyfriend and I went to church this past  Sunday  and it is no surprise that Pastor Furtick spoke directly to me regarding this issue. Luckily, I was able to walk away with a better perspective to help me navigate through the pressure and actually find the power in it all. Pressure can be looked at from both a positive and negative perspective. In a good way, it can push and moti

Vital For Survival: Quality Time With Your Girls & Why It Matters

It is the story line women of all ages are familiar with. One moment you and your girls are brunching it up every weekend, partying at the hottest clubs, getting together once a week for TGIT and planning vacays one year after the next and the next thing you know time passes by and weekly plans turn into IG comments, unanswered text messages and the only time you see one another is when one of your children has a birthday party. Many things can cause time and distance to separate friend groups from other another such as careers, romantic relationships, children and dream chasing to, unfortunately, unresolved issues. No matter what the cause may be, it is important to resolve matters quickly and keep your girls as important figures in your life. This can be seen in the movie Girls Trip . Four friends get together for a long overdue weekend in New Orleans for the Essence Festival. I saw the movie with my girls and was reminded why making time for your friends is vital for survival.

Fall Favorites That I'm Ready For!

via GIPHY It's that time of year again! Every year I am excited for Summer weather for about a moth and before I know it,  I am counting down to the days when I will be able to wear over-sized sweaters, eat bowls of warm goodness and watch the leaves go thru a dramatic change. It's safe to say I have had Fall Fever since about July 4th and boy am I ready for the season to take it's full affect. There are so many favorites that I have already started enjoying. Check them out below! Bowls of soup and chili via GIPHY Oh yes, soup! From chilli, to chicken noodle, broccoli cheddar and a spicy gumbo, I love a big bowl of comfort food. While one can eat soup in the summer months (I'm sure Panera Bread didn't miss a beat), nothing compares to soup in the fall. Kick off the season by dusting off the Crock Pot - or finally buying one - and trying out some amazingly easy recipes! This year I plan on mastering white bean chicken chilli. Yum! Boots via