Skip to main content

I'm Glad I Didn't Give Up On Myself

I'm glad I didn't give up on myself.

On July 28, 2017 I took a leap of faith and wrote my first blog post, Vital For Survival. I was really inspired by the movie Girls Trip, the message I took from the movie and seeing numerous women bond and laugh together while watching such a groundbreaking film. While I was inspired, I was also terrified. I was so scared to share my thoughts with other people that I almost did not push the Publish link. I actually clicked “Publish” by mistake and had a 5 minute panic attack (typical me). I was so nervous as to what people would say about something that I created – my words, my thoughts, my opinions. The thought still gives me the worst anxiety when I think about it. It is a fear that I push through week after week because I needed a place where I could be myself, share my thoughts and in turn inspire others to share with me and others as we grow and try our absolute best to navigate through this thing called life and try to be better every day.

I’m afraid, but I do it.

I’m happy I did not close my laptop only to never click “Publish." I'm proud of myself for doing it, even if it was not intentional and by mistake; except it wasn’t. God knew I did not have the courage to willingly push that button on my own, so forcing my hand was completely necessary. I had no idea what I was doing. I still don’t! I’m literally learning along the way and it’s a great feeling to know that I am creating a lane and a platform for myself, especially during a time in my life where I feel held back and looked over in my career (we’ll talk about job rejection on another day lol), and where I also feel like, what I truly want to do with my life, no one is going to give it to me. I have to create it myself. So while I have no clue what I am doing, I am going to continue at it until I am great and can do it with my eyes closed. I'm happy and did it and I’m glad I did not give up on myself.

This is not the first time in my life where I felt like I had no clue how to navigate. When I moved to Charlotte in January of 2010 to attend UNC Charlotte, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I stepped on that campus and had stars and fear in my eyes all at once. I wanted to do so much and didn’t know what to do all at the same time. I had so many plans – I was going to be a business major so I could learn how to start my own business, I was going to pledge with my friends, and I was going to graduate and start making crazy money! Well, life comes at you fast. I did not declare Business as my major because accounting kicked my entire ass. I did, however, declare Communication Studies as my major and discovered that not only am I a decent writer, but I actually enjoy it. I did not pledge as I so desperately wanted to. I had gotten so sick during my early college years that my grades dropped severely and I was literally fighting for my health and my education. I still do not know what was wrong with me during that time – the doctors couldn’t diagnose it despite the many tests they had run. What I did know was that school was all I had at that time. When my grades dropped and I was not only kicked out of school but denied financial aid. My sick self found a way to pay for summer classes to help raise my GPA, spent hours on the phone with the Dean of my college trying to convince him to reinstate me (he said no numerous times), and visiting financial aid. I submitted multiple appeal letters, showed them my medical records and kept the faith that not only would I be reinstated back into school, but I would receive financial aid and would bounce back. The dean of my college told me I would be kicked out again. After being reinstated for the fall, I finished out with a 3.7 semester GPA, healthy and happy. I’m glad I did not give up on myself.

At the place that I’m in, I want to give up every day. Every day I wake up talking myself into going to work and pushing through, pep talk myself into applying for potential job opportunities, nurture myself as I write for Briana, I am and push myself towards the goals I have set for myself. The motivation is not always there, but the vision is and that is what keeps me going. We all have hardships and situations that we have made it out of – things that helped to shape who we are today and when we sit back and reflect, serve as tools for motivation and encouragement. I personally try to remind myself that I have survived 100% percent of my worst days. The only reason why we should look back is to see how far we have come and remind ourselves why we are glad we did not give up.

So, please…

Don’t give up on yourself.

I won’t give up on myself.

We got this. We can do this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Power in Pressure

Pressure. We all feel it from time to time. It makes diamonds, right? At least that has been the saying for as long as I could remember. But what about when pressure makes things, people and situations crack. I myself have been feeling a lot of pressure lately. Mostly self inflicted, but pressure none the less. The pressure to reach my financial goals by the end of the year, quickly find a better job that pays more, be present for my friends/family/significant other, and most importantly for myself has me under a lot of pressure and some days it’s heavier than others while others it’s easier to manage. My boyfriend and I went to church this past  Sunday  and it is no surprise that Pastor Furtick spoke directly to me regarding this issue. Luckily, I was able to walk away with a better perspective to help me navigate through the pressure and actually find the power in it all. Pressure can be looked at from both a positive and negative perspective. In a good way, it can push and moti

Vital For Survival: Quality Time With Your Girls & Why It Matters

It is the story line women of all ages are familiar with. One moment you and your girls are brunching it up every weekend, partying at the hottest clubs, getting together once a week for TGIT and planning vacays one year after the next and the next thing you know time passes by and weekly plans turn into IG comments, unanswered text messages and the only time you see one another is when one of your children has a birthday party. Many things can cause time and distance to separate friend groups from other another such as careers, romantic relationships, children and dream chasing to, unfortunately, unresolved issues. No matter what the cause may be, it is important to resolve matters quickly and keep your girls as important figures in your life. This can be seen in the movie Girls Trip . Four friends get together for a long overdue weekend in New Orleans for the Essence Festival. I saw the movie with my girls and was reminded why making time for your friends is vital for survival.

Fall Favorites That I'm Ready For!

via GIPHY It's that time of year again! Every year I am excited for Summer weather for about a moth and before I know it,  I am counting down to the days when I will be able to wear over-sized sweaters, eat bowls of warm goodness and watch the leaves go thru a dramatic change. It's safe to say I have had Fall Fever since about July 4th and boy am I ready for the season to take it's full affect. There are so many favorites that I have already started enjoying. Check them out below! Bowls of soup and chili via GIPHY Oh yes, soup! From chilli, to chicken noodle, broccoli cheddar and a spicy gumbo, I love a big bowl of comfort food. While one can eat soup in the summer months (I'm sure Panera Bread didn't miss a beat), nothing compares to soup in the fall. Kick off the season by dusting off the Crock Pot - or finally buying one - and trying out some amazingly easy recipes! This year I plan on mastering white bean chicken chilli. Yum! Boots via