Skip to main content

Self Care Sundays: 5 Ways I Practice Self Care at Work

Work; the last place we want to be and yet the place where we spend majority of our time. Everyday we get up and go to our place of employment to earn a living that allows us to provide for ourselves - even if we don't enjoy it or, maybe we love our jobs but not to much the people/pay. Whatever your situation, bills don't pay themselves, so day in and day out we must push our feelings aside and put our best foot forward. The best way to do that is to have peace of mind going into work and keeping it steady throughout the day.

Peace of mind is everything while at work. Sometimes, it's all you have. When your job gets stressful or you simply just get in a funk for whatever reason, it is so easy for negative feelings to take over and make you feel even more low - you start thinking about how much you don't want to be there, wish you were doing something else that you loved, and next thing you know you're snapping at your coworker who stopped and asked to use your stapler. It happens! One way to keep your peace of mind a priority at work is to take Self Care with you and practice it thought out the day! Check out my tips below:


  1. Rise and Grind. One of the first ways you can make sure you have Peace of Mind at work is by giving yourself time in the morning to process, start your day and put yourself in a good mood. I can say first hand that when I have true time to get ready before work and am not rushing out the door, my morning goes smoother, my days aren't a struggle and I look great because I had the time to actually prepare - and when you look good you feel good too! No matter how much you like or dislike your job, wake up everyday with a purpose to get out there and grind! Perspective is EVERYTHING and can often turn our attitude towards something around completely. Instead of dreading going into work, you have to find excitement in knowing that working hard in your current job prepares you for your next, and the harder you work the more prepared you'll be for that higher paying job that you will LOVE! So, Rise and Grind! Get out here and GET IT!

  2. Love Your Space. Most of us have an area at work that has been designated to us. Whether it be a cubicle, classroom, an office (shared or personal), or even just a desk, as long as you work there, that area has been assigned to  you. Personalizing this area as much as you can while respecting company policy is huge in practicing Self Care and keeping your Peace of Mind at work. Having a lotion that lifts your spirits, small canvases and signs with uplifting messages, photos of your loves ones or even a cute mug with an inspirational quote on it can all lift you up and keep you in a positive head space throughout the day. I know for me, after a meeting, when I come back from lunch or just simply walk back into my cubicle, seeing the small pieces of decor with all the colors and inspiration makes me feel good - it's the little things that really push me though the day. My favorite cubicle quotes are: 
  3. Count your rainbows, not your thunderstorms.
    Easy peezy lemon squeezy!
    Hello gorgeous!


  4. Journey into Podcast Land. If your place of work is anything like mine, you're able to listen to music or podcasts at a reasonable level through earbuds to help drown out the sound around you and to also push you through the day. Luckily this isn't frowned upon where I work because I honestly wouldn't make it through the day if I couldn't listen to my favorite podcasts! I even have a new episode from my favorite ones every day of the week! Some of the ones I listen to are The Friendzone, Gettin' Grown Podcast, The Read, and the new What a Time with my good friends Jasmine and JD (check your girl out on EP. 1)! Each offer me a good laugh, inspiration and pushes me throughout the day and week!

  5. Take a Walk/Break. Now, sitting at work for hours on end can be really...boring! Not only is it boring, it isn't good for our health either. Something as simple as getting up from our desk and stretching every hour can make a huge difference in blood circulation, boredom and that sore feeling in your lower back from the chair you're sitting in. When I can, I try to take a walk just to give me a little pick me up. When I have downtime, I'll take a walk to a break room across the building to fill my water bottle, use a restroom downstairs, or I'll utilize my 15 minute break in the morning or afternoon (separate from lunch - check your company's break policy) to get some fresh air. It makes a huge difference and allows me to reset, get the blood flowing and I'm not so tired from just sitting all day. I am also a huge advocate for getting out of the office for lunch. HUGE. Lunch, to me, is a chance to take a break, reset, recharge and come back to work fueled for the second half of the day. I understand many people eat in the office to save money and that's great! If your company offers outside seating, eat outside for some fresh air, sit in your car and listen to a podcast or even find a nearby park. You could also take your lunch to the mall, sit in the food court and read a book or take a walk around the mall to get yourself moving after sitting all morning. Just remember, your breaks at work are yours! As long as you are honoring the time you leave and arrive back, use it to your benefit!

  6. Stay Productive. I know what you're thinking - "I do more than enough at my job Bri, no!" And I hear you! Trust me, this one is hard for me too and I am working on this with you! Staying productive, especially when down time at work happens very often, is a huge challenge. Finding ways to stay busy can be very hard and not so motivating, I know. Staying productive, however, will only better you in the long run. Not only will it help the time go by faster, it can also help you learn new things that will in turn help your, what?!...RESUME! Haha, yes! Your resume. Taking on a project, challenging yourself to learn something new, asking a coworker if they need help - these are all ways that you can stay productive on a daily basis and also ways you can sharpen your skills, grow your knowledge and boost that resume way up. Honestly, that should always be the goal. Whether you work for yourself, are in corporate America, in education or the health field - you are your brand. Staying productive helps in so many ways and staying busy at work helps keep your mind off the negative and focused on a goal at hand, in turn, encouraging peace of mind! Whatever that entails, stay productive, learn, grow and keep your peace at the forefront! 
Work doesn't have to be a dreadful place. Of course no job is perfect, but while there its better to make the best of it until we reach that next great opportunity! Make it fun, productive and worth while to help keep you positive and to keep you going. Peace of mind is so necessary. Now, if you find it nearly impossible, find that job, career or create one that will give you peace of mind and happiness! 

How do you practice Self Care and keep your Peace of Mind in the workplace? Comment and Share below! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Power in Pressure

Pressure. We all feel it from time to time. It makes diamonds, right? At least that has been the saying for as long as I could remember. But what about when pressure makes things, people and situations crack. I myself have been feeling a lot of pressure lately. Mostly self inflicted, but pressure none the less. The pressure to reach my financial goals by the end of the year, quickly find a better job that pays more, be present for my friends/family/significant other, and most importantly for myself has me under a lot of pressure and some days it’s heavier than others while others it’s easier to manage. My boyfriend and I went to church this past  Sunday  and it is no surprise that Pastor Furtick spoke directly to me regarding this issue. Luckily, I was able to walk away with a better perspective to help me navigate through the pressure and actually find the power in it all. Pressure can be looked at from both a positive and negative perspective. In a good way, it can push and moti

Vital For Survival: Quality Time With Your Girls & Why It Matters

It is the story line women of all ages are familiar with. One moment you and your girls are brunching it up every weekend, partying at the hottest clubs, getting together once a week for TGIT and planning vacays one year after the next and the next thing you know time passes by and weekly plans turn into IG comments, unanswered text messages and the only time you see one another is when one of your children has a birthday party. Many things can cause time and distance to separate friend groups from other another such as careers, romantic relationships, children and dream chasing to, unfortunately, unresolved issues. No matter what the cause may be, it is important to resolve matters quickly and keep your girls as important figures in your life. This can be seen in the movie Girls Trip . Four friends get together for a long overdue weekend in New Orleans for the Essence Festival. I saw the movie with my girls and was reminded why making time for your friends is vital for survival.

Fall Favorites That I'm Ready For!

via GIPHY It's that time of year again! Every year I am excited for Summer weather for about a moth and before I know it,  I am counting down to the days when I will be able to wear over-sized sweaters, eat bowls of warm goodness and watch the leaves go thru a dramatic change. It's safe to say I have had Fall Fever since about July 4th and boy am I ready for the season to take it's full affect. There are so many favorites that I have already started enjoying. Check them out below! Bowls of soup and chili via GIPHY Oh yes, soup! From chilli, to chicken noodle, broccoli cheddar and a spicy gumbo, I love a big bowl of comfort food. While one can eat soup in the summer months (I'm sure Panera Bread didn't miss a beat), nothing compares to soup in the fall. Kick off the season by dusting off the Crock Pot - or finally buying one - and trying out some amazingly easy recipes! This year I plan on mastering white bean chicken chilli. Yum! Boots via