Skip to main content

Self Care Sunday: The Little Things Matter Most

What's the first thing that comes to mind when you think of Self Care? It may be enjoying nature and the outdoors, treating yourself to a massage or even taking a little weekend getaway or joining a workout class. While all these practices are great, the most necessary kinds of Self Care can be done in the comfort of your own home.
While all these practices are great, the most necessary kinds of Self Care can be done n the comfort of your own home.
Self Care doesn't always have to be elaborate, expensive, or done outside of the most important place in your life - your home. At home is actually where Self Care starts and should be practiced the most. There are so many necessities at home that help prepare us for the outside world. Believe it or not, every day chores and tasks such as laundry, a soothing hot shower, organizing, cooking meals that you love and even getting quality sleep are all self care practices. Creating a routine to set aside time and focus on these little things is a great way to make Self Care an every day routine and help make yourself feel amazing.

Check out some amazing tips below on how to make your home a haven for Self Care!


  1. Doing laundry and loving it. The one household chore most of us dread to do and put off until the very last moment is washing and folding laundry. You know it's true - you wait until you run out of socks, under garments, or until you desperately need that one sweater you love and realize it's been in the bottom of the hamper for about 3 weeks. It happens! Washing clothes and linens easily becomes the last thing on the to do list, however, it's one of the most important. Clean clothes, sheets, towels - things I need on a daily basis - gives me a peace of mind I never realize I need until the task is complete and I'm sleeping on fresh, warm linens after a long day. Recently, I have a set schedule for washing clothes and washing the linens, which includes binge watching my favorite shows and movies while folding everything fresh out of the dryer. As boring it may sound, I always thank myself when my clothes are wrinkle free, put away, and I rarely have to iron in the morning. Major wins in small packages!
  2. Turn your bathroom into a spa. Believe it or not, you don't have to go to the spa to feel amazing and relaxed. While there is no shame in booking an hour long massage at your favorite spa, what about those moments when you need relief right away? Whether you had a long day, your muscles are tight from working out or sitting in that awful chair at work, or you just want to feel good, you can turn your bathroom into an all in one oasis. All you need is a towel under to door to keep the steam in, some aromatherapy scents of your choice (candles, body wash or shower melts), some calming music and a little bit of time to relax. For the price of a spa massage, you can even buy a multi-function shower head with massage settings! Afterwards, sit down in the steam filled bathroom, breathe, relax and take it all in. You will truly thank yourself.
  3. Sleep it away. When I was younger, I can admit that I did not appreciate the value of good sleep and taking naps. Just thinking about all of the naps I missed out on during my college years makes me sick. Luckily, I have gotten wiser and understand that quality sleep is so vital. For me, it's not so much about the amount of time I spend nuzzled up under the covers in dreamland - it truly is quality over quantity. Whether I'm just taking a little cat nap or I'm calling it a night and getting my beauty rest, I try my best to clear my mind, let go of whatever is or was, turn the volume of my phone down and focus on relaxing. Steady breathing, empty thoughts...I even like it to be silent (I used to need white noise). Whatever your method and routine to get you there, quality sleep is vital. While I do not have children, I understand how hard it can be to get good sleep when you do. When you have those moments of rest, focus on just that. And if you have a partner that snores, or if you are that snoring partner (guilty lol) talk about ways and methods you two can work together to help one another get good, quality rest. It's the one thing we all need. 
The little things truly matter the most when talking about Self Care. Daily routines and practices can help make you feel good, and boost your confidence about this whole adulting thing. No matter how much experience you might have in this thing called life, we are all capable of forgetting to put our needs and necessities first. Focus on keeping the little things in order and watch how great you feel!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Give Thanks: Reasons To Be Thankful

Thanksgiving is upon us and while I am excited to eat some good food and have some much needed, well deserved time off from work, this is truly a time to gather with family and loved ones and remind myself of all the many things I have to be thankful for. Throughout the year, day in and day out, it is easy to get caught up in the world and forget about what is most important. It is even easier to look at those around us and play the comparison game and focus on what we may not have and lose sight of all the many things we do have. When I think about why I am thankful, I immediately think about the people in my life. I mean, yes I am thankful for my job, and money to provide for myself and all of the nice things that I have, but the people in my life are what matter the most to me. Recently, my mom and I had a conversation about being rich in spirit, and that has been sitting with me since. Money and material things are all nice and great to have, but nothing in this world will t...

Fall Favorites That I'm Ready For!

via GIPHY It's that time of year again! Every year I am excited for Summer weather for about a moth and before I know it,  I am counting down to the days when I will be able to wear over-sized sweaters, eat bowls of warm goodness and watch the leaves go thru a dramatic change. It's safe to say I have had Fall Fever since about July 4th and boy am I ready for the season to take it's full affect. There are so many favorites that I have already started enjoying. Check them out below! Bowls of soup and chili via GIPHY Oh yes, soup! From chilli, to chicken noodle, broccoli cheddar and a spicy gumbo, I love a big bowl of comfort food. While one can eat soup in the summer months (I'm sure Panera Bread didn't miss a beat), nothing compares to soup in the fall. Kick off the season by dusting off the Crock Pot - or finally buying one - and trying out some amazingly easy recipes! This year I plan on mastering white bean chicken chilli. Yum! Boots via...

HELLA SCARED: Fear, Faith and Serenity

Issa Rae, Insecure, 2016 image source Can I admit that life scares me? Not always, but definitely from time to time. One moment I'm confident and rolling with the punches taking things as they come and the next thing I know I am panicking, having slight anxiety and worried about what will, or won't, happen next. As one can imagine, this gets frustrating! I in no way live my life in fear, but uncertainty drives me crazy sometimes. I want to know everything right now. I want to know where my career will end up, if I will reach my goals, if I'll ever get married, what my kids will look like, or if I will even get to see these things happen in my life at all. I know, it's a lot to take on all at once. Whew! One of the ways I have dealt with this fear of the unknown is to focus on the now. My mind wanders constantly. All day, every day. I am always thinking about what's next, what the next day will bring, if something will or will not happen and thinking 20 step...