Skip to main content

Give Thanks: Reasons To Be Thankful


Thanksgiving is upon us and while I am excited to eat some good food and have some much needed, well deserved time off from work, this is truly a time to gather with family and loved ones and remind myself of all the many things I have to be thankful for.

Throughout the year, day in and day out, it is easy to get caught up in the world and forget about what is most important. It is even easier to look at those around us and play the comparison game and focus on what we may not have and lose sight of all the many things we do have.

When I think about why I am thankful, I immediately think about the people in my life. I mean, yes I am thankful for my job, and money to provide for myself and all of the nice things that I have, but the people in my life are what matter the most to me. Recently, my mom and I had a conversation about being rich in spirit, and that has been sitting with me since. Money and material things are all nice and great to have, but nothing in this world will top being rich in spirit, love and great people. Money comes and goes - and in the wrong hands, it can do more harm that good. Material things eventually lose their value. But your spirit, the love you have for yourself and others, the people who truly matter in your life - those things are priceless.

This year I am thankful for my loving family, my wonderful sister-friends, my amazing boyfriend, my many loved ones and to God for putting all of these people in my life. I am thankful for the love I have for myself, my self care and the joy I feel passing that love on to others. I am super thankful for the encouragement and inspiration I receive from everyone in my life and even those I do not know - that energy is real and needs to be passed along. We all could use it!

As we all gather with our loved ones to eat and relax, I challenge us all to reflect on what is important and the things that matter most to us. Lets change our perception to focus on what we have rather than what we don't have - and if there's something you want, challenge yourself to make it happen! We are all rich and blessed in so many ways and it is so important that we remember and remind one another of that!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HELLA SCARED: Fear, Faith and Serenity

Issa Rae, Insecure, 2016 image source Can I admit that life scares me? Not always, but definitely from time to time. One moment I'm confident and rolling with the punches taking things as they come and the next thing I know I am panicking, having slight anxiety and worried about what will, or won't, happen next. As one can imagine, this gets frustrating! I in no way live my life in fear, but uncertainty drives me crazy sometimes. I want to know everything right now. I want to know where my career will end up, if I will reach my goals, if I'll ever get married, what my kids will look like, or if I will even get to see these things happen in my life at all. I know, it's a lot to take on all at once. Whew! One of the ways I have dealt with this fear of the unknown is to focus on the now. My mind wanders constantly. All day, every day. I am always thinking about what's next, what the next day will bring, if something will or will not happen and thinking 20 step...

Being Yourself and Winning

via GIPHY 2017 has been a year of victory for many women in the spotlight. We've watched Issa Rae go from being an Awkward Black Girl to an Emmy nominated CoverGirl, Cardi B make history on the charts and Auntie Maxine Waters reclaim her time and ensure her voice - and the voice of the community - is heard. More importantly, we've watched these women and countless others make these strides while being themselves and staying true to who they are. In the age of RTs and double clicks for likes, it is very hard to be yourself without the worry of facing judgement. One wrong post and one could face harsh ridicule, criticism and even online bullying. It's even harder when you're trying to chase your dreams in the public eye. Everyone is watching what you do, say and post extremely closely and, unfortunately, people will highlight the bad more than they praise the good you have going on. Despite all of this, it is very important to stay true to who you are. Take Ca...

The Survival Guide: Office Holiday Parties

Holiday time in the office is always so great. The company Christmas tree. The Christmas music. Everyone is excited for their travel plans and family time. And of course, we cannot forget the numerous holiday parties and luncheons taking place between November and December. It's the most wonderful time of the year! Whether you're new to a company's holiday culture or a veteran in the game, company holiday gatherings can be a bit overwhelming if you have multiple to attend and keep up with. From planning, attending, and adding your name the potluck sign up sheet, it is very easy to get events confused while trying to keep up with party planners and ensure that you're taking a dish that everyone will enjoy. Check out the following tips to get you thru the holiday parties this year! Join a Committee   Believe it or not, joining a committee is a great way to get involved and excited for the holiday office party. Whether it be decorating, catering or cleaning, lendin...