Skip to main content

The Survival Guide: Office Holiday Parties

Holiday time in the office is always so great. The company Christmas tree. The Christmas music. Everyone is excited for their travel plans and family time. And of course, we cannot forget the numerous holiday parties and luncheons taking place between November and December. It's the most wonderful time of the year!

Whether you're new to a company's holiday culture or a veteran in the game, company holiday gatherings can be a bit overwhelming if you have multiple to attend and keep up with. From planning, attending, and adding your name the potluck sign up sheet, it is very easy to get events confused while trying to keep up with party planners and ensure that you're taking a dish that everyone will enjoy.

Check out the following tips to get you thru the holiday parties this year!


  • Join a Committee  Believe it or not, joining a committee is a great way to get involved and excited for the holiday office party. Whether it be decorating, catering or cleaning, lending a helping hand is a way to show your holiday spirit and an even better way to network with you coworkers. Do an awesome job and you could make a great impression going into the new year. Promotion anyone?
  • Take a Dish, Check it Twice  Many holiday luncheons are potlucks and it's highly suggested that attendees bring a dish - while it is easy to bring tableware and utensils, food is always priority. Don't shy away from taking a dish that will keep the office talking! I have found it best to make a crock pot side that I can set up in the break room in the morning that will be ready by lunch. No time to plan and cook? No worries - store bought desserts are always a great go to. Be sure all cooked food is well done and packaged food is sealed tight!
  • Respond to the Invite Request  Most holiday parties rely heavily on the RSVP list to keep track of how many will be attending, eating, bringing a dish and the list goes on. A lot of people showing up without properly accepting the invitation could result in there not being enough food or space to accommodate everyone. If you are unsure, tentatively accept the invite and as it gets closer to the date, confirm your attendance with the host!
  • Have Fun, but Keep it Professional  Office holiday parties are definitely a chance to put work on the back burner for the allotted time, get to know your coworkers and eat yummy comfort food. Though it is a time to socialize, it is still a work event. Be sure to keep work policies at the forefront. Be sure to watch your alcohol consumption should it be served, follow the company dress code policy and no...a mistletoe is not an excuse to make a move on any one of your coworkers!
  • Get in the Spirit  As corny as it might sound at first, office holiday functions can actually be fun! Whether its a simple potluck luncheon or a fancy holiday party event, it's a great way to network, step away from the stress of work and simply have a good time. Get in the spirit and celebrate the accomplishments of the year!
Holiday work functions can be overwhelming, however, they don't have to be. With some planning, organizing and a little getting involved, you'll be in the spirit and ready to mingle with your team! Have fun and enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Give Thanks: Reasons To Be Thankful

Thanksgiving is upon us and while I am excited to eat some good food and have some much needed, well deserved time off from work, this is truly a time to gather with family and loved ones and remind myself of all the many things I have to be thankful for. Throughout the year, day in and day out, it is easy to get caught up in the world and forget about what is most important. It is even easier to look at those around us and play the comparison game and focus on what we may not have and lose sight of all the many things we do have. When I think about why I am thankful, I immediately think about the people in my life. I mean, yes I am thankful for my job, and money to provide for myself and all of the nice things that I have, but the people in my life are what matter the most to me. Recently, my mom and I had a conversation about being rich in spirit, and that has been sitting with me since. Money and material things are all nice and great to have, but nothing in this world will t...

Habits: Out With The Old, In With The New!

  Lately I have been feeling a strong need to change my life. I want and need to shake things up, do something different to take myself to the next level. There are a few things that I have realized are getting in my way of that. Habits. They are so easy to develop and oh so hard to change. We all have habits and routines that we practice every day. From smoking, to biting fingernails, using profanity, drinking coffee, constantly checking social media first thing in the morning and I could go on but the list is truly endless. Anything can be considered a habit no matter how big or small it may seem. I am dealing with a terrible habit myself that I am so desperately trying hard to kick…   Here goes...   I am a snoozer and I sleep until the last possible second before getting up for work…   Whew! It felt good to get that off my chest! But, it’s true. I moved closer to work and my habit has only gotten worse. I can literally sleep in until about 7:22am, ...

HELLA SCARED: Fear, Faith and Serenity

Issa Rae, Insecure, 2016 image source Can I admit that life scares me? Not always, but definitely from time to time. One moment I'm confident and rolling with the punches taking things as they come and the next thing I know I am panicking, having slight anxiety and worried about what will, or won't, happen next. As one can imagine, this gets frustrating! I in no way live my life in fear, but uncertainty drives me crazy sometimes. I want to know everything right now. I want to know where my career will end up, if I will reach my goals, if I'll ever get married, what my kids will look like, or if I will even get to see these things happen in my life at all. I know, it's a lot to take on all at once. Whew! One of the ways I have dealt with this fear of the unknown is to focus on the now. My mind wanders constantly. All day, every day. I am always thinking about what's next, what the next day will bring, if something will or will not happen and thinking 20 step...